Monday, January 2, 2012

First Class Pre-Excitement

When my son was around a year old and I was pregnant with my daughter, I began helping my friend's children with homework and carpooling from school and to their after-school activities- which, for the girls, included ballet and dance.

My son would sit and play with his toys in the waiting room of the dance studio and would occasionally watch the classes.

After awhile, however, he refused to watch any dance class that was not ballet.

When attending the dance recitals,
unless a ballet piece was being performed, my son would take a small toy and play quietly in his seat.

Around the age of two, my son began asking about taking ballet. Whenever he was asked if he wanted to take any other dance classes, he politely said, "no, just ballet."

Upon researching ballet classes for boys, it was discovered that a few dance studios might take boys at two or three years, but there were no ballet classes.

At the gymnastics center my son attended, his coach said that she taught ballet at a ballet studio, but that they did not take anyone until age four.

Due to the fact that my son's birthday is in December, he was unable to start classes in the fall before he turned four.

In the spring, we signed him up for t-ball; and, a few weeks later, for summer ballet classes.

One of the happiest memories of that spring: my son hit the ball off the tee, made it to third base, and then proceeded to jump up and down on third base while excitedly telling his coach that he had gotten to sign up for ballet.

The coach got so tickled at my son that he almost forgot to send him to home plate.

Even years later, his coach liked to tell the story about him jumping up and down on third base because of his excitement for signing up for ballet.

No comments:

Post a Comment